Congratulations on officially becoming Seniors! This year will be filled with intellectual pursuits and personal achievements that will help you grow as individuals. We in the School Counseling Department want to help you to make the most of your final year in high school and support you in achieving your goals. Upon returning in the fall, we encourage you to reach out to your counselor to schedule a senior conference. No matter where you are in your planning, we are eager to help!
For most of you, the beginning of senior year will also include college application work, especially those of you with early application deadlines. There are still some things you can do before the school year begins to take ownership of the process and ease your responsibilities in the fall, such as:
- Continue using Naviance and other online resources to explore college options and finalize your list of schools.
- Keep visiting colleges and/or plan for fall campus visits (up to 3 absences can be excused).
- Check out the list of college reps visiting WHS in the fall and sign up to meet with reps.
(This information is found in the “Colleges” tab in Naviance and more schools are added regularly!)
- Begin drafts of (or continue editing) college essay(s).
- Register for the SAT (collegeboard.org) and/or the ACT (actstudent.org).
- Finalize your activity resume.
- Review the Post-Secondary Planning Handbook, School Counseling Website, and On-Demand Junior Night Website for information and resources for help through the entire college
- The Recommendation and Transcript Request Form, including procedures and deadlines to follow to ensure documents are sent in a timely manner. (Step-by-step video for procedures)
- The pass to attend a college representatives visit at WHS. (This pass is also available on the School Counseling Website and in the Naviance Document Library.)
- Sign-up instructions for the Class of 2016 Remind account, to receive quick reminders and announcements via text message. (Parents welcome to sign up as well!)
- A list of important events and dates coming up this fall. (Please note that Financial Aid Night, originally scheduled for October 19 is being rescheduled for October 14.)
A copy of your transcript with your GPA through 5 semesters was also sent in the mail to you at the end of July. Updated GPA through the end of junior year will be available in the fall. To estimate your GPA, refer to pages 25 & 26 in the WHS Student Handbook. Please review your transcript and communicate any grade discrepancies with the teacher directly, as soon as possible in the fall.
Enjoy the rest of your summer. We look forward to seeing you and helping you make senior year the best year yet!