To help guide juniors through the college application and post-secondary planning process, we will be meeting with each student for a one-on-one conference to help them take the next steps toward their future. We want to empower juniors to take ownership of their future and these conferences will provide students with the opportunity to share their thoughts and plans with their counselor. At the conference common topics to be covered will include, (1) review of the transcript, (2) letters of recommendation, (3) standardized testing, (4) college application essays. In addition, each conference will be tailored to the individual needs of the student. So whether you are just beginning to think about your options for after high school, already have a detailed plan and multiple colleges in consideration, or are not planning on attending college, we will be able to help guide and coach you as you take the next steps in your future. Parents are also always encouraged to call or email their child’s counselor with any questions throughout the process. We are happy to help!
Counselors will begin to hold conferences on Monday, February 9th and students are invited to schedule their appointments once they are ready. Before students may schedule their appointments, students and parents are both asked to complete a few items in Naviance to help the counselors prepare for the conferences. They are:
• Junior Questionnaire 2016 (student)
• Junior Parent Questionnaire 2016 (parent)
• Activity Resume Draft (student)
• Identifying Colleges You are Thinking About (student, if applicable)
• Checklist of Completion (student)
More information and written instructions to complete these items are available by clicking the "Read More" link below. You may also view this instructional video on how to access and complete these items.
• Junior Post-Secondary Planning Night has been rescheduled for Monday, February 2nd at 7 PM. It will be held in the WHS Auditorium.
• Counselors will be holding sessions with junior English classes from February 2-6, helping them to research and take the next steps in their post-secondary planning.
• Check out our new and improved School Counseling Website! Find lots of updated information and new features such as the “College of the Day” and “What’s New” Blogs, an instructional Video Library to help with common tasks in the college exploration and application process, and Flipboard Magazine of the latest articles related to high school counseling.
• February 5 – Parent-to-Parent Coffee – 7-8pm in the WHS Rangers College & Career Center. This is an opportunity for parents to learn from trained parent-volunteers about college searching on Naviance. Drop in for a few minutes or the whole hour. No RSVP necessary.
• February 13 - SAT Registration Deadline for March 14 test
• March 13 - ACT Registration Deadline for April 18 test
We look forward to helping you reach your post-secondary goals and making the process as smooth as possible!
Instructions for Required Items:
Please complete the following items prior to scheduling your individual appointment with your counselor: (You may also view this instructional video on how to access and complete these items.)
I. JUNIORS AND PARENT/GUARDIAN QUESTIONNAIRES (STUDENT & PARENTS)
Why they are important: Counselors write letters of recommendation for every student that needs one. We rely on the answers to these questions to help build a picture of each student. When the student, parent, and counselor perspectives of who the student is are combined, it provides us an opportunity to write as comprehensive recommendation as possible.
How to Access and submit the Questionnaires:
• Log into your Naviance account.
• Click on the “About Me” tab.
• In the left hand margin, under “Surveys to take”, access both the Junior Questionnaire and the Parent Questionnaire.
• Once completed, be sure to “submit” both questionnaires.
II. ACTIVITY RESUME DRAFT (STUDENT)
Why this is important: In addition to giving your counselor a better picture of who you are outside the classroom, your activity resume is important to organize as you prepare for college and job applications. You are asked to submit a first draft of your resume with the understanding that you may make many revisions between now and senior year. Use the resume template in the Naviance Document Library to help you organize your activities and achievements.
How to Access and Submit the Activity Resume Template:
• After logging into your Naviance Account, the “Activity Resume” template can be found in the Document Library on your Naviance homepage in the far right hand column.
• Click on the “Activity Resume” and save the file to your personal computer.
• Upon completion of the first draft of your resume, you may email it to your counselor or print a hardcopy to deliver directly to your counselor
III. IDENTIFYING “COLLEGES I’M THINKING ABOUT” (STUDENT)
Why this is important: To facilitate your meeting with your counselor, we want to get a sense of your starting point and the preferences you have for different college characteristics. We can help you uncover additional schools that may be a great fit both personally and academically, and ultimately assist you in fine-tuning your final list of target, reach and safety schools.
How to Access and Update your “Colleges I’m Thinking About” List:
• Log into the student’s Naviance account and click on the “Colleges” tab.
• Click on “Colleges I’m Thinking About” link
• Click “Add to This List” and search colleges to add to this list.
At this stage, we suggest at least 5 colleges for the list.
IV. CHECKLIST (STUDENT)
Why this is important: This is a resource in Naviance that will help you organize important documents and steps in the college planning process. It is also how you will verify that you have completed the above items before scheduling your individual appointment with your counselor.
How to Access and Update your Checklist:
• Login to Naviance
• Click “About Me”
• Click link to ‘checklist’
• Upon completion of a task, click link and mark this as completed.